Friday, March 13, 2009

Interview with Coach Mark Johnson

We’ve all gotten used to seeing Coach Mark Johnson at games and practices over the past season and somewhere along the way understood that he was Coach Jake McCoy’s longtime assistant.

While that’s true, it doesn’t tell begin to cover even the highlights of Mark’s successful career as a player and coach. A life-long Richfield resident, employee of the City of Richfield’s Department of Forestry and father to three teenage daughters, Mark volunteers his time to coach because of his love for the game of hockey.

Q: Mark, tell us about your early career as a player?

I played youth hockey in Richfield, then went to Richfield High School. I played hockey there all four years. I was picked to play in the High School All-Star Maroon and Gold Series. That’s where the Minnesota High School Hockey Coaches pick the top 68 high school seniors to form four teams play a post-season tournament. Now it’s called the North-South-East-West All Stars. I also played for Team Minnesota, and we won the championship game against Philadelphia that was played in Illinois in 1986

Q: So it was at Richfield High School that you met Coach McCoy?

I met him in ninth grade when he put me on the varsity team. I played center on that team with Jake as the coach from 1983 through 1986. Altogether, I’ve known him for twenty or twenty-five years.

Q: Then where did you play?

I went to college at University of Wisconsin-Superior and played for the Yellow Jackets.

Q: Then what happened?

[Laughs] I came back to Richfield. I was born here, grew up here, and other than my time in Superior, I’ve been here all along.

Q: When did you start coaching?

I’ve been involved with youth hockey for a long time. On the high school level, I was Jake’s assistant for the boys’ hockey program at Richfield High School for ’94, ’95 and ’96. Then I coached the Richfield High School girls during ’97, ’98 and ’99. After that, I was the Lakeville High School assistant coach for the girls’ team from 2000 through 2004. The Lakeville team went to the state tournament in 2002 and 2004. So altogether, I played in the state tourney in ’86 and coached in three of them since then.

Q: And that’s because by last year, you were also back with Jake coaching the successful Richfield Bantam team?

That’s right. I went back to working with Jake on youth hockey during 2004, and I’ve been his assistant since then. Last year we went to the state tournament with the Bantam team.

Q: With all that experience, what do you get most out of coaching?

It’s neat how kids want to learn the game of hockey. I really enjoy teaching them new skills. You can work on something for weeks. Then they finally get it and they say, “you’re right, coach” and that’s really rewarding.

This is the first time I’ve coached this age group [Squirts.] When I listen to them, they’re often talking about NHL players. They know their names, what sticks they use—they’re really into it.

I’m happy to see how this particular group has developed. They’ve really come together even though some were from Richfield and some were from Washburn. They’ve really adapted well.

Q: What’s the next big challenge for kids of this age?

They’ve got to keep going with what they’ve learned so far. We’ve kept it basic, but that’s still what’s important for them.

Q: Next season, or even this spring, some of them will be in situations where checking is allowed for the first time. What should they know about checking?

Well, there’s going to be checking.

But they need to keep in mind that they’re playing the game of hockey, and checking will take its place. They don’t need to focus on either doing the checking or worry about getting checked. By skating hard, they’re not going to get checked to the degree they might think.

Also, they’re going to get bigger, stronger, faster. If they just keep practicing their shooting and stick handling, their skills will grow with their size. So they should get checking out of their minds. Do the basics and listen to their coaches.

Q: We’ve already seen some rougher play in some of the recent games. What did you tell the kids about that?

I told them to stay out of the pushing and shoving. Let them [the other team] try if they want. Just keep your feet moving, and you’ll be fine. And our forwards kept their feet moving.


Q: Who are you going to coach next year?

We don’t know yet, but I’ll coach with Jake.

Q: And until then, what do you do in the off season? Spring hockey? Do you run summer programs?

No, no hockey programs. I played soccer and golf for Richfield High School, too, and I still like to play golf. It’s a little tougher to get out for golf now that the girls are older. Hockey was never a problem, though. When they were young and I coached the girls’ teams, my kids would come out and skate with the girls. My two older kids go to Richfield High School now, and play on the hockey team. My younger daughter doesn’t play.

Q: So lots of golf in the summer?

Some golf. I also coach fast-pitch softball for Richfield. And I’m president of the Richfield league.

Q: Mark, thanks for your efforts with our kids this year.

You’re welcome. It’s a pleasure.

No comments: